Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Aran Islands


The gang ventured Westward to the Island of Inis Oirr, the smallest of the three Aran Islands, just off of the coast of Ireland's mainland. The island boasts about 250 full-time residents, probably four streetlights, and just about as many pubs. We stopped in Galway on the way over and spent the afternoon perusing through street markets, walking the beach along Galway Bay, and squeezing in some fish and chips at McDonaugh's (?), which Susanne dubs "the best in Ireland" (we got cod -- they were out of the ray). Erin recommends the mushy peas for a lighter vegetarian alternative.

On the Island, we were treated to a home-cooked meal at one of the pubs (the name escapes me at the moment), which warmed us up a little from the nasty weather outside. After checking out the local night life (read: drinking some really cheap Guinness with a few, shall we say, regulars), we called it an evening and snuggled in at a local hostel. (Some slept more soundly than others: I apparently snored -- uncharacteristically, of course). 

After a nice light breakfast, a local woman came in to talk about the island, and its rivalry with the two other islands Inishmore and Inishmaan. After that was free time, and I took the opportunity to walk along the rocks at the coast of the Island -- probably my personal highlight. We met back up for lunch at the same pub we had dinner in, and from there were treated to a horse-and-carriage ride around the Island. The driver took us to a shipwreck on the far coast, and we were allowed to explore a little bit as the sun finally decided to come out. 

We had to hurry back to catch the last ferry off of the island (we made it). On the way back, a rescue helicopter practiced emergency landings on the back of our boat: an added bonus as we sat on the ferry's deck. The four-hour ride home went quickly enough, thanks to our driver Francis' two young grandsons providing entertainment from their "bunk beds" in the overhead compartments.

Currently, I am with Kristine and Noah in London (!) visiting my pals Anna and Jordan for the weekend. Anna is studying with the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts this semeseter, while Jordan is taking advantage of NYU's study abroad program in the Film / TV writing focus. Today we walked Abbey Road (great picture, I'll upload it when I get back), and saw an awful, awful production of the musical Blood Brothers on the West End, breaking my "consecutive plays I liked" streak at four. Tomorrow should be more eventful; Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Tower of London, the Globe, and a Jack the Ripper tour in the evening. We fly back Monday night, so it's a quick jaunt but a fun one nonetheless.

I am pleased to say that I have finished a draft of "Madoff In The Garden", as I am calling it. While it still needs a lot of work, to type the words "End of Play" after 90-plus pages (most of them written sometime in the past week) is an exhilarating feeling, and I treated myself accordingly to a pastry at the local bakery. 

Irish playwright Mark O'Rowe came to speak to our Contemporary Irish Theatre class this week, which was a little awe-inspiring since we had just read two of his plays and watched a movie that he wrote the week before. He was so down to earth and made me excited to be writing, which is all I could ever hope for in meeting influential writers. I just rocked a paper in that class as well, so consider my step spring-loaded academically speaking. 

Kathleen flies in on Wednesday morning, and I am very excited to be spending the Easter Holiday with her. I will report on our outings, as well as the rest of this trip, very soon.

Your April Fool,

Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment