Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Beginning


First and foremost, I wanted to let everyone know that I have landed safely and soundly in Dublin, and thus far the experience has been fantastic. I've been fighting off the jet-lag to embrace my neighborhood as much as possible these last few days, and even in the most cosmopolitan, urban, and populated part of the country the traditional Irish spirit that I had learned so much about is present in every native that I come across. 

This day, particularly, is one of great significance. For one, it is my father's birthday, and I have been thinking about how incredibly grateful I am to have him and my mother as my parents. I recognize that I am living a bit (okay, more than a bit) of a charmed life, and I know how much that they sacrifice so that I can most fully achieve my dreams. Even beyond that, though, my dad is the man that I model myself to be more like daily, because of his ability to be both diplomatic and assertive, dignified and goofy, tough and tender, engaging and engaged. Even today, he's probably out shoveling our sidewalk, whether or not the snow calls for it. If he ever decides to come in and reads this, Dad, know how thankful I am for you. Happy Birthday.

Of course, this day is also the beginning of a new presidency, and a new mentality in the United States that has been heard around the world -- including O'Donoghue's Pub, where I took in the inauguration this afternoon. A mixture of natives and visitors fell silent to take in Obama's speech. I didn't know how captured I had become in it until the screen blipped out, for no more than half of a second, and I felt my body clench in panic of losing a single word. It was another wonderful speech by a man that the world will stop to listen to. 

In the background, I struggled to listen to Elizabeth Alexander's poem -- and it was exactly what I needed to hear. I don't know if any of you heard it, but I wish it were our national anthem. 

Here is the transcript of the poem. I will view this experience here with new eyes having heard it. You should read it at least once aloud.

Missing all of you very much. I will post a more Dublin-oriented write-up very soon. 

XO,

Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment