Sunday, January 25, 2009

Howth and Oliver St John Gogarty's


Went hiking yesterday, and listened to some great Irish music the night before. Here are a few updated photos -- I have to pick and choose because I can only upload 100mb a month. But at least it's a taste. 

Five Random Things, As They Come To Me:
  1. I was likened to Michael Flatley by a bona fide Irishman. I'm not going to tell you that it was at my expense. The very fact that it happened, in any context, proves my suspicions to be correct. At Oliver St. John Gogarty's pub, I got a little too into the music, and a couple of us began step-dancing, tipsy American style. At the end of the song, the guitarist said "I think it's great that people are dancing... when a woman dances, even if she's flailing her legs, she just looks so graceful... but when a fella dances, god save us all." Taking this as an incredible complement (I mean heck, he was calling for divine intervention because of how sacramental my moves must have been to behold), I continued showing off my moves, until our troupe began to be referred to as "Riverdance". I'm thinking of opening my own dance school here: what can I say? You've either got it or you don't. 
  2. I'm having really great, weird dreams. My favorite one of the week was that I showered in gravy before going to a coffee shop to get dumped by my dream woman, and then went back and took a bath in gravy. Tear-filled gravy. I swear I'm not doing drugs. Needless to say, I am a little paranoid when I turn on the faucet in the morning.  
  3. I want a pet sea lion. See above. On a related topic, apparently there's a "horse trade" fair of some sort the first Sunday of every month, and they sell horses for 50 euro. I may have to make a compromise; I think we have enough room in our apartment. 
  4. Howth is pronounced "Hoath". Even the "h" gets too much credit in that phonetic spelling. Maybe "Hote"? I dunno. Either way, it's beautiful. 
  5. Coffee is great here. But it's like twice the cost of tea, so I've turned a new leaf. But really, it's a treat. 
I'm helping my roommate Jake with his music video today; apparently he can only use inanimate objects, so it should be an interesting, if lengthy, process making these stick puppets he's made come to life. It'll be awhile, but if he posts it I'll be sure to get the link. 

Hope everyone's keeping warm. Weather's been pretty consistent here between 40s-50s, a little cool, sometimes rainy... okay so it's not quite consistent. But it keeps things interesting. 

Thank you for the emails; I've read and loving reading them all. Any other recommendations for dining or day-trips I would love to hear. 


D

No comments:

Post a Comment